At Hastings Direct we are investing beyond Motor Insurance. We have created a dedicated Pricing and Underwriting team to deliver the ambitious strategy we have for our Home Insurance product. This effort has the full support of the business, benefits from a state of the art tech stack and inputs from the entire Actuarial and Data Science (AnDS) community at Hastings, as such it’s an extremely exciting time to join the team.
To build upon the foundations and early successes of the recently formed Home team we are looking for a data science candidate with strong analytical skills and a passion for geography. This candidate will fuel our ongoing development of technical models, using machine learning and geospatial analysis, that is critical to the next stage of our commercial agenda.
Reporting directly into our Home AnDS lead you will support them in the development of our property-based and geography-based rating factors. This will include identifying and researching potential new data sources, implementing the most valuable with production-quality deployment and innovating against all our enrichment data (new and existing) with the latest analytical and machine learning methods to extract the crucial predictive insight that underpins all of our technical pricing.
How you will make a difference:
- Shaping the home pricing and underwriting strategy, engineering powerful new geography and property level rating factors to be deployed into our home rating.
- Identifying, analysing, and monetising new data sources relating to geography and properties.
- Creating and maintaining tools to support the management of our risk portfolio with a particular focus on geographic accumulations.
- Engaging commercial stakeholders to gather detailed business requirements and coordinating project activities.
- Monitoring the performance of the home geography and property level rating factors that have been deployed in our live pricing system.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience of home insurance pricing or the creation of geographic indices related to home insurance is highly desirable.
- Strong technical modelling skills are required with either experience of creating geographic indices and rating factors or wider experience of working with geospatial data in the context of predictive analytics.
- Experience programming data queries, analysis and models is required with proficiency in Python and/or R is desirable.
- Experience working with machine learning techniques and a keen interest in emerging machine learning techniques is also highly desirable.
Benefits for you
We’ve got big growth plans for our Home book, joining our new team will be like joining a new start up that happens to be attached to a growing and successful motor insurer with the capital needed to invest and succeed in analytical expertise.
This a real opportunity to make the role your own, whilst making a difference in a fast-paced, flexible and delivery focussed environment.
Some of the great benefits we will give you;
- Highly competitive basic salary plus a £5k car allowance
- Up to 10% bonus earning potential
- Pension 1:1 match up to 10%
- 27 days annual leave
- Private medical insurance
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Geospatial Data Scientist job in London, England, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally