We have a great opportunity for a Night Concierge Support Worker (waking nights) to join this vibrant, busy homeless charity in Bedford, providing safe spaces for people within its communities.
About the company
Our client has been delivering support services to people with Complex Needs since 1997. Their innovative projects support people experiencing homelessness, and to help prevent homelessness in Bedford and Milton Keynes. Their mission is to provide safe spaces to work with vulnerable people within the communities they operate in, empowering people to make positive changes and take control of their lives.
They are proud of their culture and values; Trustworthy, Respectful, Helpful and Honest. Values underpin the work our client does and the way they relate to their staff, volunteers, service users, professional partners, their funders and their trustees. They believe that everyone needs a little help sometimes and that with trust, respect and honesty people can make incredible changes.
About the role
As a Night Concierge Support Worker, you will have the opportunity to make a significant difference to people, supporting residents within emergency accommodation and/or supported accommodation.
Your role as a waking member of staff overnight is to monitor and ensure the safety of the service, building and residents; supporting the well-being of people in the service. You will also be responsible for checking the property regularly using CCTV and regularly checking communal areas.
- Receiving a handover from the day team and understanding what risks and situations you may need to monitor overnight
- Monitoring movements of residents in and out of the building to ensure only those authorised are in the property
- Making regular personal inspection ‘sweeps’ of the building to check for damage, system malfunction or disturbance
- Ensuring procedures relating to residents are being followed
- Being prepared to deal with difficult situations arising and understanding what is possible to de-escalate and what requires additional help and assistance
- Being approachable, polite and empathetic to the needs and complexities facing people using our services
- Dealing with any immediate requests/enquiries from residents in a courteous and polite manner, ensuring a thorough handover for day staff
- Keeping residents records up to date with all interactions
- Recording general information about your shift experience (detailing any incidents or issues encountered) and perform a handover to day staff on shift end
- Maintaining organisational, resident and colleague confidentiality
- Adhering to the company Diversity & Equal Opportunities Policy
- Being familiar with and demonstrating adherence to the organisational and service Policies and Procedures
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Great communication skills and experience of working effectively with others
- Some experience of dealing directly with the public and/or customers in a busy 24/7 operational environment
- The ability to work on your own initiative (with a small team or independently) and be trusted to carry out duties when services are usually quiet and there are fewer people about
- The ability to connect with people who may have had adverse life experiences and present with challenging behaviour (and be able to effectively de-escalate these types of situations).
- Some understanding of the issues faced by homeless or vulnerably housed people and the difficulties they experience in accessing services
- A caring and empathetic approach to helping people and an adaptable approach to individuals with complex needs
- The ability to work under pressure in a potentially stressful environment and deal with challenging behaviours and situations.
- A working knowledge of MS Office software, e.g. Word, PowerPoint & Excel.
- The desire to help individuals to make positive change to their lives, often when they feel at their lowest point
About the hours and rewards
In the role of Night Concierge Support Worker, you will work 3 nights on 3 days off. Shifts are from 8pm-8am. There is a salary on offer of £22,557 per annum and benefits include:
- Access to a Charity Worker Discount scheme
- Access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- 27 days annual leave + bank holidays (pro rata)
- Generous pension scheme (after successfully completing a probation period)
- Free parking available at emergency accommodation location and within a short walk from supported accommodation
There are lots of opportunities to pick up additional shifts across their homelessness services.
How to Apply
Please note that eRecruitSmart is advertising the role of Night Support Worker on behalf of the Hiring Company and your CV will be sent to the Hiring Manager who is responsible for the vacancy that you have applied to. Please only apply if you consent to these terms.
You must reside in and have eligibility to work in the UK. Please note, only suitable applicants will be contacted. If your address and contact details are not on your CV, you will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Support Worker, Carer, Care Assistant, Healthcare Assistant, Night worker,