We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated team player to join as a Governance Lead. This is an exciting position ensuring key decisions that impact the lives of our tenants are made prudently and that we achieve regulatory compliance.
Location: 43-45 Coldharbour Lane, Camberwell, London, SE5 9NR with occasional travel to the Midlands.
Salary: £35,000 – £40,000 per annum DOE
Hours of Work: Full-time, 9am to 6pm
The Governance Lead Role:
Governance is as much about working with people as it is about following rules and procedures. It is a perfect role for someone who enjoys planning and executing, applying ideas and seeing them in practice, and is eager to ensure governance is embedded throughout the organisation.
You will work closely with the Executive Management Team and the Board who are made up of committed and experience people from all walks of life. The Board sets the strategic direction, tests and challenges the plans of the Executive Management Team, ultimately ensuring we are fulfilling our mission and delivering high quality services to tenants.
This role requires great communication and organisational skills, a passion for working with others, provide robust advice and guidance to others who will submit work to the Board, and work accurately in a fast-paced environment.
The Governance Lead will lead 3 valuable areas of the organisation:
- Planning and execution of Board and sub-committee business
- All governance controls related to the Association
- Risk planning and controls
Governance Lead Duties:
- Lead an effective Governance function and embed rigorous monitoring and oversight across the Association
- Plan and execute Board / sub-committee business according to Annual Business Calendars
- Work closely with the Company Secretary, Board and Sub-Committee Chairs and other stakeholders in planning Board business
- Be the expert on the sector Governance Standards and Codes (e.g. those Regulator for Social Housing and National Housing Federation and others)
- Successfully identify and prepare plans to adapt to changes in governance standards
- Assist in the preparation of governance reports for Board and Committees and support and ensure others who are submitting reports to the Board are submitted on time
- Planning and executing the Annual Strategy Away Day
- Design and implement new policies, processes, controls, systems and templates to support Board decision making based on our strategic framework, best practice, and external governance standards
- Implement initiatives to enable Board Members to develop the skills and behaviours necessary to be successful (e.g., training, mentoring scheme)
- Develop positive, successful relationships with Board members, senior leaders, and key stakeholders supporting them in all aspects of their role so they thrive in a complex environment
- Prepare data for regulatory submissions including the Statistical Data Return
- Maintain the conflicts of interest register
- Maintain the risk register
- Other duties as may be required from time to time.
Governance Lead Requirements:
- Knowledge of housing governance standards or ability to quickly learn once appointed (we are more interested in the right candidate)
- Exceptional organisational skills, good time management and ability meet short and time sensitive deadlines
- Strong skills and experience of minute taking and ensuring decisions/actions are implemented
- Excellent planning experience and arranging formal meetings/events and preparing high quality paperwork and arrangements for such meetings/events
- Ability to be systematic but also pragmatic when thinking and recommending solutions
- Ability to summarise complex information to stakeholders
- Experience of working with senior and multiple stakeholders
- A good understanding of the value of customer service
Experience of using all office applications.
- Managing multiple priorities
- Ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy in all areas of work
- A commitment to confidentiality and professional and personal integrity
- Availability to reliable and flexible.
- Undergraduate degree (preferred: business, accountancy or similar).
- A good understanding of the role of the housing sector and what is currently happening in the sector
- A good sense of cultural differences will also be needed.
About the Company:
Ash-Shahada was established in 1989 to tackle a growing need for affordable housing for vulnerable people in London. 33 years on our mission remains the same and we have since expanded our footprint to Birmingham and now support over 3000 tenants.
A social housing provider, we support the most vulnerable people in the community so you will be making a big difference. Our non-social provision also offers minimal care for those who are homeless or coping with adjusting in society after life events that have knocked them off course. With the cost-of-living crisis and difficult state of the economy, Ash-Shahada is needed now more than ever. Join us for a fulfilling and rewarding career.
If you think that you are suitable for the Governance Lead role then please, apply now!