Do you work as a Clinical Engineer in a field involving medical devices within the NHS?
Do you enjoy working in a healthcare environment with opportunities to interact with clinical staff and fellow colleagues, and making an impact on how medical devices are managed?
If so, applications are invited for the post of Senior Clinical Engineer – Medical Devices to support a progressive Clinical Devices Team across Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for a highly skilled, motivated and experienced Clinical Engineer to join the friendly team. Applicants should have extensive experience in planning, monitoring and delivery of operational activities involving medical devices within the NHS. They are expected to have a high-level of understanding of a range of medical device operation & application, and possess effective report writing and presentation skills.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic candidate to work closely with the Clinical Devices Team to provide operational management of medical devices across the Trust. You will be a proactive and flexible professional who is able to bring about positive change through effective influence and negotiation.
In return you join a creative team, where you will be given encouragement to develop your solutions within a supportive environment.
01 March 2023
Agenda for change
£48,526 to £54,619 a year per annum plus HCA
University Hospital Lewisham
Post Title: Senior Clinical Engineer
Department : Clinical Devices
Responsible to: Deputy Head of Clinical Devices
Accountable to: Deputy Head of Clinical Devices
Grade : Band 8A
Hours: 37.5hrs p/w (7.5hrs p/d, worked between 8am-5pm Mon Fri). Duties may include provision of services outside of these hours.
Main Base: Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust, post holder will be required to work cross-site & work on any site used by the Trust.
- Job Summary
Senior Clinical Engineer will perform a range of technical and scientific activities and contribute towards the smooth management of medical devices at Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust.
This includes implementation, monitoring and delivery of operational activities. Including, equipment replacement, maintenance, governance, risk management and training.
- General Duties
- Working to the Trusts rolling 5-year medical device plan. Adjusting and prioritising tasks to meet organisational requirements.
- To rationalise the equipment inventory to enforce standardisation and remove redundant items.
- Management of external contracts including managed equipment services/PFI, lease equipment and other contracts
- Responsible for purchasing designated assets or arranging contracts.
- Provide advice, contribute and write relevant departmental business cases.
- As requested by management, produce complex management reports which may require skills in negotiation and diplomacy where outcomes are contentious, both internal and external to the Trust.
- These reports may be complex and time sensitive and/or contentious. The quality of the reports is to be at Trust Board level.
- Appraisal and audit of both new and existing service contracts, ensuring that all medical devices have quality maintenance cover where required.
- Development and maintenance of all work in line with MHRA and ISO quality system requirements.
- Monitor and resolve regulatory and CAS alerts.
- Produce and maintain documentation relevant to incident investigations and advise on Risk
- Develop and manage medical devices governance processes, and support Regulatory enquires.
- Advise and support risk assessment processes relating to clinical devices and decontamination.
- Assist Wards/Departments to implement Trust policy for clinical device management and training them in its use.
- Liaise with Wards, providing expert advice on appropriate use of clinical devices.
- Provide expert advice in relation to medical devices to Medical Device Team, Trust Management, Procurement staff and other Committees.
- Identify the need for new instrumentation or equipment for use in the Trust. Produce specifications for items of equipment, for purchase or construction in-house.
- Working in conjunction with procurement to carry out evaluation of medical devices, engage end user feedback and complete assessments.
- Work collaboratively to develop and undertake audits in order to improve the effective use and maintenance of medical devices.
- Monitor the effectiveness of related policies and protocols. Routinely reviewing, proposing and implementing changes which may impact beyond own area of activity.
- To undertake audits of Wards and other clinical areas on the implementation of the clinical devices policy.
- To work autonomously to achieve the expected results, guided by relevant UK standards and regulations, adhering to Trust Policies and Values.
- Perform other duties which may be required by the line manager.
- Specialist Duties
- To provide expert advice and support on highly specialised imaging technology, equipment and systems.
- To conduct evaluations contribute to technical specifications of systems & contracts.
- To arrange, monitor & manage maintenance and servicing contracts of imaging & other identified items of equipment. Regularly holding performance reviews and updating senior managers in the Trust.
- Involved in medical equipment installation, acceptance, commissioning, calibration, quality assurance and quality control.
- Review maintenance reports & external consultancy findings, and support Trust imaging department with its implementation when required.
- Lead investigations into medical device performance issues, image quality issues or any other issues, present solutions and implement remedial actions.
- Investigate and resolve complex equipment problems. Liaise with suppliers and end users regarding equipment breakdown, and regularly update senior managers and divisional directors where required.
- Carry out or assist with risk assessments in relation to highly specialised medical equipment.
- To support all RPA services/partners and advisors across all Trust sites.
- Prioritise and manage own work within set parameters. Respond in a timely manner to requests for advice and assistance by others, using own judgment to prioritise the request against existing workload.
- Manage tasks and responsibilities associated with any of the duties listed above. Supervise staff as required, including trainees.
- Ensure efficient and effective use of resources. Adjust plans as required in response to changing demands and priorities.
- To line manage designated staff including temporary staff between AFC Band1-7.
- To deputise for appropriate Senior staff when required.
- To minimise financial costs by safe and effective use of high capital value equipment (in excess of £50,000).
- Responsible for purchasing delegated assets or arranging contracts in excess of £5,000, and to keep within delegated costs.
- Effective strategic and business management of clinical devices throughout their complete life cycle.
- Participate in the standardisation of all clinical device/equipment purchases, including durables.
- Analyse business processes to deliver cost saving improvements (CIPs).
- Teaching and Research & Development
- To teach and train students, trainee Clinical Engineers/technologists and new starters.
- To develop training programmes for staff when required.
- To train clinical staff on use of medical devices when required.
- To participate in teaching programmes and presentations as and when required by the department.
- Develop, validate and implement new test and analysis methodologies. Develop appropriate documentation and provide training as required.
- Undertake research & development, following a programme agreed with line manager.
- Liaise with clinicians, and other clinical staff to provide expert scientific advice and support for clinical research programmes
- To maintain skills and afford development of practical and theoretical skills required for the post. Maintain professional registration status.
- Key Working Relationships
Develop internal and external networks and relationships with all areas and colleagues as appropriate.
To communicate and liaise effectively with Service Line and other hospital staff at all levels
- Senior Trust Managers
- Doctors & Consultants
- Nursing Staff
- Non-clinical Staff
- Scientific & Technical Staff
- Procurement & Supplies
- Other NHS & Private Healthcare Providers
Forms of communication with the above will be both verbal and written e-mail, letters, reports and presentations. The level of complexity of information conveyed will be complex and at times sensitive (e.g. Commercial in Confidence, contentious).
Qualifications & Training
- Relevant undergraduate degree or equivalence in Medical Physics or Biomedical Engineering.
- Master’s degree or equivalence in Medical Physics or Biomedical Engineering.
- Successful completion of post graduate training in Medical Physics or Clinical Engineering
- Membership of a relevant professional body.
- State Registration as Clinical Scientist in Medical Physics or Clinical Engineering
Knowledge & Experience
- Minimum 3 years post training experience at AfC Band 7 working in a Clinical Engineering or Medical Physics role within the NHS.
- Expert knowledge and extensive practical experience of medical devices technologies, safety issues and quality assurance.
- Specialist knowledge across a range of working procedures and practices in Medical Physics, building on theoretical knowledge and practical experience.
- Advance understanding of patient and staff risks arising from use of complex medical devices.
- Advanced proven knowledge of relevant legislation, national standards, professional and other guidelines.
- Proven experience in negotiating, arranging and monitoring of contracts.
- Experience in planning/decision making
- Experience in implementing organisation change
- Experience in working within tight budgets with awareness of value for money.
- Experience in interpreting complex information and communicating, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to convey and to receive accurate and clear instructions and training, to and from staff, colleagues and others
- Experience in managing and supervising students/trainees, or own staff and others.
- Experience in auditing own work and that of others and implementing recommendation.
- Able to use specific complex software as required [e.g. computational image processing software, etc.].
- Understanding of research matters including study design, funding and ethical issues.
- Previous investigative and technical report writing experience with regards to medical device performance or adverse incident related issues.
- Experiencing in writing technical specifications including imaging equipment e.g. CT, MRI etc.
- Experience in completing medical device trials and evaluations.
- Experience in policy development
- Experience in coping with pressures, demands and ambiguities whiles striving to achieve results.
- Confidence in the use of numerical and technical data.
- Positive, enabling attitude combined with good influencing and negotiating skills.
- Able to negotiate with external partners.
- Scientific publications in journals
- Practical experience in at least one branch of ionising physics.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Senior Clinical Engineer job in South Tyneside, England, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally