Trainee Building Control Surveyors
Salary : £19,500 – £23,500 depending on experience
Nationwide Trainee Positions
Looking for an opportunity to earn while you learn and gain the qualifications needed to start a successful career in the construction industry?
Following a successful initial recruitment campaign resulting in over 120 job offers, LABC, the organisation that represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales, is hosting an additional assessment centre for new recruits looking to join their Trainee Building Control Surveyor Programme, starting in September 2023.
The Trainee Building Control Surveyor Programme is a 3-year programme that provides the opportunity to learn on the job to gain a level 4 and level 5 diploma in building control surveying, with funding for level 6 learning (degree level) once in permanent employment with a local authority.
Throughout the programme you’ll earn a competitive salary and on completion you’ll have the skills and qualifications required to progress to become a fully qualified Chartered Surveyor or Building Engineer with the potential to earn over £50,000.
As a Trainee Building Control Surveyor, you will assist in delivering a range of surveying activities relating to building control, including providing information and feedback on how to achieve compliance with building regulations, undertaking inspections of building work, assisting in technical investigations and responding to dangerous structure and demolition notifications to ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
Successful candidates will be employed by LABC but be based in a local authority to allow you to gain practical experience.
We are currently seeking candidates to be based within the following locations:
- Warrington (WA1 2NH)
- Yorkshire – Calderdale (HX1 1PW)
- Sheffield (S1 2HH)
- Lincolnshire – North Kesteven (NG34 7EF)
- Derbyshire (S41 8NG)
- Great Yarmouth (NR30 2QF)
- West Midlands – Sandwell (B69 3DE)
- West Midlands – Coventry (CV1 2PY)
- Milton Keynes (MK9 3EJ)
- Essex – Epping Forest (CM16 4BZ) (Plus £4k London Weighting applicable to base salary range)
- Essex – Southend-on-Sea (SS2 6ER)
- East Devon (EX14 1EJ)
Please note – This role will require regular travel to sites within your local authority’s region. Therefore, you will need a full and current driving licence or be working towards having one (ideally by employment start date or within 6 months of employment start date).
What does the programme include:
- 3 years accredited learning, where you will earn your level 4 and level 5 diplomas in building control surveying. As a funded programme you will have no student debt to pay back!
- Hybrid working approach – 35 hour work week consisting of 2 days home based learning/study and 3 days on the job training with your assigned local authority.
- A competitive salary throughout the duration of the programme.
- Regular salary increases following successful completion of education and validation assessments.
- A dedicated LABC coordinator to support you throughout your employment with LABC.
- An experienced local authority mentor who will meet with you daily
- Training and experience to become a fully qualified Chartered Surveyor or Building Engineer on completion
What do I need to join?
We are seeking technically minded candidates who like problem solving, are keen to learn and are looking to build a real career in the construction industry.
To apply you will need one of the following:
- Minimum 3 A levels (or predicted for 2023) at grade C or higher (or equivalent – 80 UCAS points)
- Demonstrable experience in a relevant or related discipline for example but not limited to construction, ex-military, fire etc.
- A qualification at level 3 S/NVQ in construction or a related discipline
What can we offer you?
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension 4% employers’ contribution and 4% employee contribution
- Hybrid working (typically 2 days training and study at home, 3 days site based)
- Season ticket loan scheme
- 35 hour working week
- Investment in your development as a Building Control Surveyor through levels 4, 5 and potentially level 6 over 3-year Fixed Term Contract. This investment is worth over £15000.
The application process
- Initial application – Submit your CV to Opus. We’ll then contact you with a few more questions to complete your application.
- Assessment centre – If your application is successful, you’ll then be invited to attend the assessment centre on 14 June.
- Offer -We’ll notify you of the assessment centre outcome. If you are successful we’ll then work with LABC to get everything ready for you to start your new role.
If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to an Assessment Centre on the following date:
Wednesday 14th June – Birmingham
Further details will be confirmed by our recruitment teams at time of booking.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Trainee Building Control Surveyor job in London, England, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally