Every minute of every day, in nearly every country across the globe, Smiths Detection people and technology make the world a safer place. We safeguard people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations and screening technology for aviation, ports, borders, defense, and security across 55 countries around the globe
Life At Smiths –
- Global leader: We impact critical systems every day with sites in 17 countries and six centers of research excellence. From pioneering to powering life-changing innovation, we’re delivering threat detection and screening solutions to safeguard the world from threat
- Digital growth: A key part of our capability is the integration of digital technology across our business and our operations in more than 55 countries, will be critical to our continued success
- Exciting opportunities: Our growth is creating exciting opportunities to work with experts in physics, chemistry, electronics, mechanics, production, computer science, and AIML
- International environment: With some projects, work requires global collaboration and the potential to travel and grow with the business
We have a fantastic opportunity here at Smiths Detection for an experienced Project Planner based from our Hemel Hempstead site. You will be responsible for supporting the implementation of effective planning functions within the company, following a business standard approach to planning, covering all stages of the project lifecycle. You will work closely with the Project Manager and have a close relationship with the Project Controls Manager.
The role will be closely linked to the lean Programme Excellence Centre (PEC) and will contribute to the value that it provides to the project management function and wider business. Significant experience in project planning is essential – preferably in a Product Development, R&D, technical, or engineering environment such as aviation or motor industry.
You must be entirely proficient and self-sufficient in Primavera P6, as this is an essential pre-requisite in fulfilling this role. Exposure to Earned Value Management and Project Controls is essential and previous exposure to the MoD/Defence/DE&S/DSTL is desirable.
Exceptional communication skills and the ability to work in a multicultural team in a matrix environment are key to ensuring success in this position.
Smiths Detection has a strong and diverse culture with a commitment to inclusivity, an emphasis on continuous learning and development, and flexible ways of working. We offer competitive pay and a wide range of other benefits. Security Clearance capabilities are required.
What you’ll do :
• Establish and maintain the required minimum number of artefacts (e.g. Work Breakdown Structure, Cost Breakdown Structure, Responsibility Assignment Matrix, Responsible Accountable Consulted Informed (RACI) Matrix, time scheduling, resource planning, risk and change management controls, etc.).
• The Project Planner shall apply recognized project controls practices to achieve the establishment of cost, schedule and resource baselines and the maintenance of such baselines through the updating of forecasts and the management of scope.
• Develop plans, methodologies and processes for ensuring compliance with Earned Value Management Systems as required by Client, experience on this is critical especially in Ministry of Defense environment.
• Develop and maintain overall project schedules and ensure that these products reflect the approved scope. Monitor and liaise with project team to mitigate any adverse trends.
• Develop and maintain a schedule narrative against the original baseline, any subsequent baseline revisions and the progressed schedule with analysis of critical and near critical path.
• Develop and report according to the schedule development progress metrics and key performance indicators, including schedule risk analysis against the project risk register.
• Review and endorse 3rd Party schedules and progress Baseline and forecasts, including rolling into the contract master schedule.
• Assistance in developing/writing Risk and Opportunity Management Plan with the PM will be required.
• Develop and Embed the Baseline Change Control process including maintenance, analysis, communication and approval.
• With PM support, conduct monthly variance analysis to explain and interpret the impact against the baseline and the completion and tracking of corrective/preventative actions.
With related experience you should have an appreciation of complex integrated technology-based sensor systems.
Other Skills required
• Demonstrable direct experience of project planning, risk and change management within a Project Management Office or reputable project management environment.
• Exposure to baseline planning and scheduling, forecasting cost/schedule integration techniques.
• Appreciation of resource management and integration with Integrated Business Planning.
• Awareness of critical path analysis, reporting, risk management tracking and the completion of corrective action plans.
• Direct experience of the use of scheduling tools such as: Primavera P6, Oracle ERP, MS Project, Cobra.
• Direct or indirect experience of the use of risk, change and data software tools such as: Pertmaster, Active Risk Manager, Power BI.
• Good verbal and written communication and people management skills.
• Exposure to continuous improvement both formal and informal approaches.
Competence and Abilities:
• Embedded the application of change activities from proposal through to integration into the Performance Measurement Baseline
• Motivated to persistently achieve effective results that benefits the needs of the business.
• Ability to communicate clearly (verbal, written, listening) and build an effective network of relationships with internal and external customers.
• Can demonstrate an ability to make good judgements based on available information and in a timely manner.
• Support the production and control of baselined, fully logic linked, cost and resource loaded plans, with appropriate milestones utilizing approved work breakdown structures and techniques.
• Capable of producing special reports for the Senior Leadership Team
• Support the application of change activities from proposal through to integration into the Performance Measurement Baseline.
• Ability to define an Earned Value Management System within a formal management plan which includes a Project Controls System Description.
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/smiths-detection/life/c58d0d07-ffe6-4a79-aa69-062062454d6d/and follow our story
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity. We have several employee-led Employee Resources Groups (women@work, Black Employees Network, Veterans, Pride Network) providing support, enhancing career development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment and beyond.