Base location – Warrington, Bristol, Leicester or Newbury
Hybrid – working from home options available
Full time / Permanent
At Babcock we’re working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Mechanical Designer at our Warrington or Bristol or Leicester or Newbury sites.
As a Mechanical Designer, you’ll have a role that’s out of the ordinary. This role sits within our Cavendish Nuclear business, from decommissioning redundant nuclear facilities, through supporting the Continuous at Sea Deterrent, to supporting the operation and build of nuclear power plants, our role in Cavendish Nuclear is to clean up the nuclear legacy and create a world where nuclear plays a key contribution in protecting our nation, ensuring security of energy supply and meeting our net zero commitments.
Day to day, you could be creating cutting-edge designs, leading on project delivery or providing solutions to our many clients. At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far.
* Prepare & produce drawings throughout design lifecycle and in line with recognised ISO standards to the required; time, cost and quality requirements
* Promote effective co-operation across Design and other functional teams
* Develop innovative design solutions and solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of Production and Technical Queries
* Assist more senior designers in a range of activities including, production of estimates, maintenance and improvement in standard and quality of outputs, production and test organisations with the compilation of test forms and procedures
* Fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for single discipline low risk projects
* Maintain individual knowledge of current best practice in application of designer expertise across the design lifecycle, including customs and standards.
* Promote a culture of best practice in design expertise and provide leadership and assist in driving cultural development and change
* Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.)
Essential experience of the Mechanical Designer
* You are someone who owns and delivers, who champions high performance and is courageous to challenge the status quo.
* Knowledge of CAD tools and General Engineering Drawing Practice.
* Ability to build strong and influential relationships with key stakeholders.
Qualifications for the Mechanical Designer
* Minimum HNC/HND in Engineering, or equivalent experience.
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance level for this role.
* Generous holiday allowance
* Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
* Employee share scheme
* Employee shopping savings portal
* Payment of Professional Fees
* Reservists in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
* Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
* ‘Be Kind Day’ enables employees to take one working day’s paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For the full extensive Benefits package please visit our Careers pages
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working – please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.