Abbey DLD Colleges Ltd (ADCL) consists of three award-winning independent international colleges based in London, Cambridge, and Manchester. With over 1000 students from over 50 different countries, ADCL provides an outstanding global environment for students striving for top universities. We are committed to providing the best education for all students in our care, and our colleges have high aspirations and expectations for every member of our community.
Our commitment to excellence and innovation extends to our IT infrastructure and services. As the Head of IT, you will lead our IT team and ensure the secure and efficient operation of our IT network infrastructure.
As the Head of IT at Abbey DLD Colleges, you will be responsible for overseeing the design, implementation, and maintenance of our network infrastructure. Managing a team of three college-based IT Operations Engineers, you will collaborate with group leadership to develop IT strategies aligned with the organisation’s objectives. Your role will involve maintaining network security, optimizing performance, and ensuring continuous availability to support the needs of our academic community.
This is a Hybrid role, working from home and primarily out of DLD College London or Abbey College Cambridge dependant on the appointee’s location, however travel will be required to all three colleges on occasion.
Your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide expert technical advice and support for IT incidents, problem tickets, and service along with technical escalation (3rd line) responsibilities for the colleges.
- Check and monitor daily backups, ensuring data integrity, and proactively manage, monitor, and maintain IT systems.
- Manage IT incidents and problems in a structured approach using the Service Desk tool and ensure IT changes are managed, documented, and implemented efficiently.
- Work with third-party companies to support infrastructure and project implementations and collaborate with College IT leads for system support and implementation.
- Lead and execute project management services using PRINCE2 methodology, overseeing and leading on major IT projects and changes.
- Schedule catch-up calls with College IT leads to discuss and update Service Improvement Plans (SIPs) and provide advice and guidance on the use of IT systems to staff.
- Manage the team of three college-based IT Operations Engineers, providing guidance, appraisals, and professional development plans.
- Maintain and update the IT asset register and documentation, as well as ensure IT Operations Engineers adhere to IT policies.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and management of a comprehensive Disaster Recovery Plan and the selection and acquisition of computer hardware, software, and third-party application packages.
- Ensure IT policies and procedures are in place to maintain fully operational, robust, and secure ICT systems.
- Work flexibly as needed to support the duties of the role and occasionally provide out-of-hours support for scheduled or emergency service impacting maintenance.
Skills and Experience:
- Expert technical skills, including Microsoft technology stack, PowerShell, Windows Server 2012 and above, Exchange online, Azure AD, and Intune. (Knowledge of Microsoft Schools Data Sync or Salamander is beneficial)
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Extremely proactive with a strong desire to constantly learn and improve.
- Excellent communicator with exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Customer focused with excellent negotiating and influencing abilities.
- Analytical with strong verbal reasoning ability. Technologically agile with a strong educational focus.
- A strong technical understanding of IT systems.
- Experience of diagnosing and resolving advanced technical issues.
- Proven experience of cloud, server, and infrastructure support. Experience of providing expert advice and guidance to users in their use of IT systems.
- Implementing enterprise-wide IT system changes.
- Proven experience of delivering major projects, ideally in the education sector.
- Experience of managing project teams and working with 3rd parties to deliver projects.
- Experience in the education sector would be beneficial but is not essential.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Employee assistance programme
- Group personal pension plan, 7% employer contribution
- Discounted school fees
- Regular social events
- Season Ticket Loans
- Eye Care
- Gym Scheme
- Workplace Nursery Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
Abbey DLD Colleges Ltd (ADCL)
Abbey College Cambridge is a constituent college of Abbey DLD Colleges Ltd (ADCL). ADCL consists of three award-winning independent international colleges based in London, Cambridge, and Manchester. With over 1000 students from over 50 different countries, ADCL provides an outstanding global environment for students striving for top universities. We are committed to providing the best education for all students in our care, and our colleges have high aspirations and expectations for every member of our community.
The ADCL is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and as an employee of ADCL you will be expected to share this commitment. The protection of our students’ welfare is the responsibility of all staff and individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of our organisation. All staff are trained in child protection and understand to report concerns by following the safeguarding policies. We ensure all candidates are properly police-checked, and the successful candidate will need to obtain an enhanced disclosure via the DBS.
Please click the link below for further information on employing Ex-Offenders:
Policy on employment of ex-offenders.pdf (alphaplusgroup.co.uk)
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
How to Apply
Please read the attached Applicant Information Pack to access full details about the position.
Please complete the application in full and include a detailed statement explaining why you have the necessary skills and experience to be successful in this position. Applications will be reviewed and candidates contacted once the advert is closed.