Single parents face many challenges when it comes to working. Whether you’re looking for flexible jobs or need a job that allows you to be at home with your kids, single parents can have a tough time finding the right career. In this article, we’ll be exploring the best jobs for single parents!
Flexibility is key
Single parents need to find flexible jobs to balance work with taking care of their kids. Many jobs offer flexible hours or the ability to work from home. In light of the pandemic, many companies have seen the benefits that home working can provide themselves and their employees. Therefore, there’s more potential now than ever to request home working.
Jobs we Recommend
- Customer Service: While not all customer service jobs offer flexibility, many offer part-time hours and the ability to choose shift patterns or swap with colleagues. Customer service jobs can also be good for single parents who do not want to commit to long-term employment contracts. Many companies hire seasonal workers, so this could be a good option if you are looking for flexible work.
- Administrative: A lot of administrative jobs can be done from home, making them perfect for single parents with young children. Tasks such as data entry and online research can often be completed without leaving the house.
- Creative jobs: If you’re a creative person, there are many opportunities for you to work from home. Graphic design, writing, and social media management are just a few of the options that allow you to set your hours.
- Transcribing: If you have good typing skills and strong attention to detail, transcription could be the perfect flexible job for you. You can work from home as much or as little as you like, and many companies are happy to hire beginners.
- Sales: As most sales are conducted online these days, there is potential to work in sales or retail remotely. This gives you the freedom to spend time with your kids during the day and make money at a time that suits you.
- Teaching Assistant: A teaching assistant job is perfect for a single parent who wants to work in education but doesn’t want to commit to a full-time position. Many schools are happy to offer flexible hours and working part-time as a teaching assistant can be a great way to gain experience in the education sector. Your schedule may also coincide with your child’s, making you available to spend time with them in the evenings.
- Digital marketing: Digital marketing jobs can be flexible and allow you to work from home. This could be perfect if you want to be at home to spend time with your children but still build your career. Also, every company approaches marketing differently, so this can be a versatile and interesting career choice.
Single parents have a lot to think about when it comes to their careers. However, with so many flexible job options available, it’s easier than ever to find a job that suits your needs. For more support and information, take a look at Refreshing a Career’s advice for single parents. Alternatively, take a look at our specialist jobs board for new opportunities!