HGV Jobs in Glasgow
Are you looking for HGV jobs in Glasgow? We take a look at HGV training options, what’s involved in the day-to-day and the current HGV job market in Glasgow.
The Road Haulage Association (RHA) is currently looking at a post-pandemic HGV driver shortage of 60,000. This means that there’s never been a better time to kick-start a career with HGV driver jobs Glasgow.
How to Become an HGV Driver
In order to become an HGV driver, you must
- have a full car licence
- be over 18 years of age (there are some exceptions)
- get a professional driving qualification called the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
It’s necessary to complete 5 tests in order to obtain the full Driver CPC which will be issued by the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency). On top of that, you must complete 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to stay qualified. Your HGV licence must also be renewed every 5 years. If you’re aged 65 or older, renewal must take place on an annual basis.
When you apply for the provisional HGV licence, you’ll need to choose the specific licence category. HGV Licences fall under the following driving licence categories:
- Cat D1
- Car to Artic
Be sure you know which licence you need before applying for your provisional licence. For more information on licence categories, check out gov.uk.
HGV Driver Responsibilities
The HGV Licence enables you to operate heavy-duty vehicles, such as lorries and trucks. As an HGV driver, you’ll transport materials and goods between major distribution centres and businesses or retail outlets. It is your responsibility to inspect and maintain your lorry according to strict guidelines. You’ll also oversee the loading and unloading of materials and goods as well as report any delays or issues on the road.
HGV drivers must be self-motivated and capable of maintaining focus over long periods of time. They should have good communication skills and be able to work without supervision.
Types of HGV work
There is a variety of jobs available for HGV drivers. This will often require you to work for different industries. Working for a number of industries will help you to build a host of technical and transferable skills, proving invaluable for your HGV career.
The different types of HGV work include:
- HGV Multi Drop – Generally involves doing more than 65 drops per day in a small area. This is usually done in smaller vehicles like 7.5ton lorries.
- HGV Short Haul – Fewer drops than multi-drop, but the drops are larger. They’re also done in a smaller area.
- HGV Long Haul – Fewer drops with a longer distance between each one.
- HGV Single Drop – Involves a much bigger delivery usually with the help of a driver’s mate.
- HGV 5 on 3 off – This is a very common type of HGV job involving 5 days on and 3 days off as agreed with your employer.
- HGV Continental – This involved travelling abroad meaning you’ll be away from home for long periods of time.
Finding HGV Jobs in Glasgow
Individuals with an HGV Licence are in extremely high demand. Therefore, you should face no issues with finding jobs for HGV drivers in Glasgow. This is especially so with the consistent rise of e-commerce and online shopping.
Refreshing a Career’s career change jobs board will show you the latest HGV driver jobs in Glasgow so be sure to check back regularly. We’ve also got plenty of help and advice for anyone thinking about making a career change. From retraining options to CV writing tips, we’re here to help you succeed in the next chapter of your career.